Plan Not Working? Don’t Panic!


As a freelance writer, I have to set a schedule every day and make sure I make my earnings targets. I know I have enough work available but it’s not always easy.

Sometimes plans don’t quite work out. That’s happened this week, but I’ve learnt that there’s no point in panicking. That just makes it all worse!

I got a bit fed up of plans not working out last night. After some bad news from a writer friend about her being terminated from a news site, I started panicking a little. What if that happened to me? I rely on that site too much.

Then I wondered how I got myself into that? When did I start relying on one site?

In truth, I don’t. It’s just an easy option on my list that I’ve become too comfortable with. After realising that I needed to act. I started looking at other sites, other clients, and other options in writing. I’ve hit the job board again and started applying to a few vacancies. I’m also looking at improving my “social proofs” as one writer calls them to help boost my private client base.

I love news writing, I do. But I don’t want to worry if a site fails or if I get terminated for something out of my control (like falling views on the site overall).

Rather than panicking, I’m acting now. My original plan was to use the news site while I got some stability in Canada. Now I’m changing that plan because it’s clearly not working.


Oh and it hasn’t helped this week that we’ve been car buying, license exchanging, and car insurance hunting. I’ll have a whole new post somewhere for that but it’s really thrown this week’s plan off and yesterday’s realisation didn’t help!

Comments