Tips for Securing New Clients When Technology Goes Wrong



This week I got a new client. I'm excited, as the project is interesting and perfect for the resent rebranding I did of my website. But it wasn't smooth sailing. Technology and time differences caused a problem for us at first.

It's easy to think that clients are being annoying and non-committal. But then this potential client could think the same about you. Despite time differences and tech issues, here are a few things I did to help make sure a Skype call happened and focused on getting the contract I wanted.


  • Be apologetic, even when it's not your fault. Technology fails. When Skype caused a couple of problems, I quickly got in touch to apologise for the issue. Sure, Skype's issues weren't my fault, but it's all about being understanding and empathetic with the client. I didn't actually apologise for the issues and more the frustration felt.
  • Offer a range of times. This is especially important when dealing with time differences. Offer a selection of times or a window of opportunity for your client to contact you. You could also ask for a window from the client.
  • Don't be too strict with your days off. While you deserve a day off, sometimes it's worth offering to chat to the client first thing on that morning. I don't usually work Saturdays, but I offered an early time to work with the client's time zone and working needs. I did make a point of sharing that later I'd have family commitments so wouldn't be available.
  • Be responsive to emails and IMs. You don't need to reply immediately, but I would suggest at least one message a working day. This just keeps you both connected, so they don't forget about you. It shows that you are interested in the project and would like to learn more once technology stops playing around.
At the end of your Skype call, remember to thank the client for spending the time attempting to get in touch with you. Then follow up afterwards with anything you said you'd do that day, including a brief cover of what you spoke about. If you have a recording, send that through to the client for their records.

Hopefully this helps you to secure new clients when technology goes wrong in the future. Don't fret. Your client should understand that it's an issue, but stay in touch in the meantime.

Comments