Dropped By a Client: Why I Don’t Put All My Eggs in One Basket

Yesterday I was alerted that a client had dropped me. I was part of a writing team and the client had been having problems with some of the articles he’d received.

I’ve got to be honest that I don’t really like working in writing teams. I don’t know the people and can’t always create a relationship with them. They think of themselves rather than the good of the team, so can produce low-quality work. In this case, some of the work was plagiarised by members of the team! That’s a major no-no as a writer.

It’s a shame because I really enjoyed the writing and put all my effort into creating interesting, unique pieces. I’d get to revisions quickly and make sure everything ran through Copyscape fine.

Being dropped by this client isn’t going to be a major problem. It means I lose about $300 per week on average, but I can cope with that. Yes, that’s $1,200 per month roughly, but I can replace that income.

At the moment, I’ve hit the job boards to apply for some interesting pieces of work. Some of it isn’t great pay but it’s actually better than the client that has just dropped me! So, I might end up a lot better off.

This is also a great chance for me and my husband to work on our own blogs. We have some big ideas and the workload recently has been a little difficult to manage. I’ve been working long hours and haven’t had the time for the work I want to do.

Another site has also seen an increase in views, so I’m getting paid more from it. I also don’t include any residual income into my target aims for finances, so that money will definitely cover some of the shortfall in the next week or so—and I know it will only be a week or so.

You see, I never have all my eggs in one basket. I have multiple clients and places to write. There are always backups when I need them. I’ll be using some of those backups for the next couple of days to cover the rest of the shortfall and see what I can do from there. I’m always ready for a client to drop me or for me to drop a client.


There are things that I can do and I’m not panicking. I’m just annoyed that members of the team have ruined it for everyone. But it is why I never put all my eggs into one basket. I’ve learned that the hard way in the past.

Comments

  1. I am trying to find more places to write. You are correct to make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket. That is smart!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment