Reviewing a Product? Make Sure You Don't Rant and You Stay on Point



I've read and written many reviews in my time. In fact, I regularly get asked to review products for some sort of compensation, whether it's financial or product compensation. I love reading books and popping my thoughts up online and I try to review any site that I use.

When I review, I always tell the truth. I stick to the facts, sharing my opinion in a way that will help others. I don't necessarily want readers to buy anything or stay away from a certain brand or product. I want them to leave my reviews with knowledge that will help their buying decisions.

Unfortunately, not all reviewers I've seen will do that. There are so many people who I see rant about something and even go completely off the point of the products.

On Amazon, I'll see reviewers complain about the shipping company used, even if the seller had little to no control over how the shipping company handled the product. I'll see people complaining about customs, even though the seller has no control over that. There have even been times I've seen reviewers complain at the seller for a poorly written book, even if they were just selling a second-hand book to make a little bit of money. It's not the seller's fault if a book written by someone else wasn't good!

People will rant and rave about all sorts of things. When it comes to a review, you need to keep high-strung emotions out.

When reviewing a product, you're helping people make a purchasing decision or a company decision. You need to put the facts out there and stay on point. Did the seller have any control over something? If not, then it may not belong in the review of the particular company.

That being said, there are times that something out of the seller's control is worth mentioning. If you didn't like the plot of a book, you can share that with your reasons why. It will help others who are looking into purchasing that book, possibly from someone else. Don't give away plot details but do share your genuine thoughts. The same applies to other products.

Don't start ranting about something in your review. Simply state your opinions and include the facts. Your readers will appreciate that when you're reviewing a product, as the facts and simply-written opinions will help them create a list of pros and cons. These reviews help your readers make a buying decision.

Comments